Wednesday, April 9, 2014

To tip or not to tip?

If you can believe it I once had a client tell me they refuse to tip anyone for doing their job.  I was a bit taken back, mostly because having been a waiter (in college) I knew what it was like to live on tips.


And I've had a client ask that every vendor from security, to waiter to band member be present at least 45 minutes prior to the event so he could personally thank them and hand their tip right to them before the event even started.

Tipping of course is always at the discretion of the client, which is often what I tell my clients.  But I also tell them, that while you may not agree with it, like providing food to a vendor, a little bit can go a long way.

So who normally gets tipped?  Waiters, Captain, valet are top of the list and they work for tips.  Their base pay isn't that much and any and all tips are always welcome.  If you want to be nice, the band, because truthfully, those guys don't make as much as you think.  The photographer and assistant, that would be nice, but not always necessary.  And of course you could tip the florist, but again, not always necessary.

It truly is up to you, but if you want to make people happy, my Rabido is to allocate money into your budget to tip the key people at your event.

Until next time…


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment