Thursday, February 26, 2015

Wedding trends - Day of Planners

I've been planning weddings and events for over 15 years and in that time I've seen trends come and go.  However, there is one trend that I think is here to stay and that's brides requesting (in record numbers) a day of wedding planner.  For some reason full time wedding planners have received a bad rap for being too expensive.  Thus brides who want help, but also want to save money, turn to a day of planner.  I'll be talking in the coming weeks about the misconceptions regarding the expense of a full time wedding planner, but for now I want to talk about day of planning.


To be honest, I never could understand how one could properly do "day of planning".  As a planner, how could you possibly show up on the most important day of someone's life and possibly execute a flawless wedding?  It's almost impossible to get to know a bride's hot buttons a week or even two weeks before her big day.  Thus, why I never wanted to do "day of planning".

However, after many requests, I decided that if demand called I would answer and now offer "day of planning".  But, my service encompasses more than just the actual wedding day and here is why.  To properly plan a wedding I need to get to know the client and the client needs to get to know me.  First and foremost, if you want to hire me or an associate as a day of planner you'll need to hire us a minimum of two to three months out from the date of your wedding.  This allows us to get to know each other and it allows me to know every single detail of your wedding.

As your day of planner I'll sit down with the bride, groom and parents to discuss what's important, what's not important.  What's been done and what still needs to be done.  I'll want to see all the contracts for each of your vendors and the time you've contracted them for.  I'll also want to discuss all the little logistics that may not have been thought of such as first look or transportation to and from the church.  Do the times you've contracted match up with your planned timeline?  Often I find it's the little details that get missed and I have to reorganize a few things to make sure the day runs smoothly.  I'll also pull together your day of timeline and speak with each one of your vendors to make sure they are on point and are in the know with every single detail.  So by the time your wedding day rolls around the bride will want for nothing.  We'll handle everything so you don't have to.


The reality is day of planning can be a lot harder that planning a wedding from start to finish.  There's the issue with the bride having had numerous if not hundreds of discussions with the caterer or photographer that you've not been privy to.  There's the issue of the planner not really getting to know the brides personality.  And there's always the issue of her hiring vendors that simply are inexperienced (less expensive) which only makes the planners job harder.  However, if you hire a proper day of planner they'll take care of all those issues so you don't have to.

In the next couple of blogs I'll talk about the do's and don'ts to hiring a proper day of wedding planner.

Until then...

cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment